Re: What to do if there's already a debian-dir inside the .orig.tar?

On 2011-11-09 12:01 +0100, Björn Esser wrote:

> What shall I do, when there's already a debian-dir inside the .orig.tar,
> e.g. when upstream already package his/her program for ubuntu?

Replace the debian/ directory with your own version.

> Can I safely remove the existing debian-dir from the .orig.tar?

When using source format 1.0, the only sane option is to repack the
.orig.tar without the debian/ directory.  If you use format 3.0 (quilt),
this is not necessary.

> What else can I do?

Use format 3.0 (quilt), and the debian/ directory in the .orig.tar will
automatically be ignored.  See the "SOURCE PACKAGE FORMATS" section in
dpkg-source(1).

Cheers,
       Sven