Re: start mysqld from debian/rules?

Cédric Boutillier <cedric.boutillier@gmail.com> writes:

> A best practice instaured in the Ruby Extras Team is to run the test
> suite at build time to ensure that it will work with the versions of
> the Ruby interpreter supported by Debian.

Where is that documented? I couldn't find it at
<URL:http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Ruby/Packaging>.

I would think it unlikely the team intends non-unit tests to be run when
building the package.

> For the test suite to run for this package, an instance of the mysqld
> server needs to be started.

Then the test suite includes non-unit tests, which aren't relevant to
“ensure that it will work with the versions of the Ruby interpreter
supported by Debian”. The two concerns should be separated.

I'm not familiar with the practices of the Debian Ruby teams, but I
would recommend to disable those non-unit tests in the test suite, and
run only the unit tests at build time.

> I was wondering what would be the best way to start (and possibly
> stop) the mysql server from the debian/rules makefile.

IMO, you should not do that.

Instead, disable the tests which require that, since they are not unit
tests and hence are irrelevant to the goal of testing the code against
the Ruby interpreter.

Preferably, the upstream developers would assist you in this: they could
use whatever facilities there are in Ruby to categorise unit tests (i.e.
tests without external system dependencies) distinct from non-unit
tests, and thereby make it simple to run only the unit tests at build
time.

--
 \       “I love to go down to the schoolyard and watch all the little |
  `\   children jump up and down and run around yelling and screaming. |