Re: Dependency on lib32foo vs libfoo on amd64

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 14:31, Игорь Пашев <pashev.igor@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, multi-arch is good.
> Can anyone help me:
> for now i386 and amd64 libs are built from the same source
> at the same time - I can't change this way. I'd like to pack these libs.
> I'm sure I'm far from the truth :-)

Do yourself a favor: Forget about multiarch for now.
"Just" package the library by building at least libfooN and libfoo-dev.
(N is the ABI version of your library)

After you have done that well you can convert the packaging to MultiArch,
which isn't that hard, but needs to be done properly nontheless.
See e.g. http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/Implementation for details.

> Please, correct me:
> debian/control:
> Source: ...
> Package: libfoo

As said, properly libfooN

> Section: libs

I guess your library is better suited for 'optional'.
Have a look at debian-policy to decide about proper priority.

> Architecture: amd64

Say 'any' here and not any specific architecture if you don't need to!

> Multi-Arch: same

Your library package will have this flag in the end,
but as said one step at the time…

> Package: libfoo
> Section: libs

You say 'Multi-Arch: foreign' - that is completely wrong:
Your libfoo:i386 package isn't able to satisfy dependencies on libfoo:amd64
or libfoo:armel or libfoo:whatever-arch, so don't claim that it would be.
See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiarchSpec for the fullblown details if you are
interested - your usage of M-A suggests that you have misunderstood it.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies