Re: RFS: ESO Common Pipeline Library

On 10/12/2011 06:57 PM, Ole Streicher wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "cpl".
>
>  * Package name    : cpl
>    Version         : 5.3.1-1
>    Upstream Author : ESO Project Team <cpl-help@eso.org>
>  * URL             : http://www.eso.org/sci/software/cpl/
>  * License         : GPLv2
>    Section         : libs
>
> It builds those binary packages:
>
>  libcext-dev - Header files for libcext
>  libcext-doc - API documentation for libcext
>  libcext0   - ESO's C Library Extensions
>  libcpl-dev - Header files for the Common Pipeline Library
>  libcpl-doc - API documentation for the Common Pipeline Library
>  libcplcore12 - Fundamental CPL data types and functions
>  libcpldfs12 - CPL functions to provide DFS compability
>  libcpldrs12 - CPL higher level data processing algorithms
>  libcplui12 - CPL framework interface library
>
> To access further information about this package, please visit the
> following URL:
>
>   http://mentors.debian.net/package/cpl
>
> Alternatively, one can download the package with dget using this command:
>
>   dget -x http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/c/cpl/cpl_5.3.1-1.dsc

Hi,
the package does not build in a clean unstable chroot:
config.log
configure:12591: checking for cfitsio
configure: 12628: /usr/include/fitsio.h
taking that
configure: 12687: /usr/lib64/libcfitsio.a
configure: 12706: /usr/lib32/libcfitsio.a
configure: 12724: /usr/lib/libcfitsio.a
configure:12738: error: cfitsio was not found on your system. Please check!

This is because cfitsio has been converted to multiarch placing it in
/usr/lib/$(dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_MULTIARCH)
The build should fall back to the system default paths when the library
is not found in the paths defined in m4/cpl.m4.

There are a couple of files with copyright held by the FSF in the source
but thats not mentioned in debian/copyright
You also don't need the GPL-2 license header twice, once is enough.

you don't need .dirs files for standard system paths like usr/{lib,include}

"VLT instrument ..." abbreviation in the description needs explaining or
maybe dropping.
fi is typed weird in everal places
line 68 "operations de~Aned on", 108, 112 ...

Also as this package contains a number of libraries please consider
adding symbol files to aid finding api compatibility problems.

Else the package looks nice, good work.

Best Regards,
Julian Taylor