Re: Shared libs dependencies

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:

> Le Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 01:54:51PM +0200, Gergely Nagy a écrit :
>>
>> zlib uses versioned symbols, a similar, but more... advanced
>> thing. Perhaps the manual should be updated to point to a simple package
>> that does use shlibs still.
>
> Actually, symbols files are really easy to use with Debhelper.  One thing to
> remember is to create an empty symbols file before runnign dh_makeshlibs,
> otherwise it will not produce a patch.

It's easy to use when you know what they're for, and understand them. If
you don't, it's a recipe for disaster. Just because getting something
out of dh_makeshlibs is easy, it does not mean that it's definitely
correct and can be used as-is (for simple cases, it could, but it's not
always so).

Eg, if a library has different symbols on different architectures, the
above method will not work. If a symbol is removed in a later version
(and the soname is not bumped, due to a mistake), the above method will
result in a library that, when installed, will break any app using the
old, removed symbol.

So, unless one understands how and why symbols files (and shared
libraries in general) work, and what they're good for, and what to pay
attention to when packaging, I would strongly recommend against blindly
trying to get it work. It will break, sooner or later, and you'll have
to clean up the mess.