Key update in annual ping?

Dear mentors,

I happen to find myself in need of updating the pass phrase
in my developer's key, since it is about to expire, and at
the same time I need to send the annual ping to WNPP about
my continuing activity.

Which route should I go for?

  A. Send ping using old key. Then update the key and send
     the updated key to the key server.

  B. Update the key now, then sending a ping using the new
     key, and send this new key to the server.

I do not intend to replace the key, only to update the pass
phrase and the date of expiration in my present key.

My naïve guess is that the authentication of the annual ping
would not cope well with the latter case?

Best regards,
  Mats Erik Andersson, DM