Re: RFS: pygtkplot

Hi!

A few comments and questions, if I may:

 * Why is the package packaged as Debian native, when it is definitely
   not Debian specific?
 * Why does it have an ubuntu distribution in debian/changelog, and an
   Ubuntu Section in debian/control, if it is meant to be uploaded to
   Debian?
 * Where is the debian/copyright file?
 * Why is there a debian/postinst which just exists with 0?
 * debian/rules looks like a horrible mess to me, but that might just be
   me. I prefer to remove useless things that the package building does
   not need (like a configure-stamp target when there is nothing done in
   it, and is not a required target)
 * lintian displays numerous errors, including, but not limited to:
   - The debian diff containing .bzr
   - no debian/compat (thus forcing debhelper to use the long obsolete
   compat level 1)
   - no debian/source/format
   - ancient standards version
   - changelog file still not compressed

And so on, and so forth. There's a lot to be done still before the
package is in a good enough shape. Running lintian and rigourously
fixing everything it reports is a good first step. Then looking at the
result and making it pretty (by removing junk that were left over from
whatever source you used to base your packaging on) would be a very
useful second step, in my opinion.

Most - if not all - of the problems I outlined above are caught by
lintian aswell, even older versions (tested with Ubuntu Lucid, as that's
the newest thing I have at work at the moment). Lintian also provides
very good hints how to go about fixing the issues it found.

Take those to heart, they'll make the package a lot better, and they'll
help you understand Debian packaging better too!