Re: RFS: news (News - RSS Ticker)

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Emmanuel Thomas-Maurin
<manutm007@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "news".
>
>  * Package name    : news
>   Version         : 0.5.3-1
>   Upstream Author : Emmanuel Thomas-Maurin <manutm007@gmail.com>
>  * URL             : http://www.newsrssticker.com/unstable-debian/
>  * License         : GPL
>   Section         : net
>
> To access further information about this package, please visit the
> following URL:
>
>  http://mentors.debian.net/package/news
>
> Alternatively, one can download the package with dget using this command:
>
>  dget -x http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/n/news/news_0.5.3-1.dsc

> Kind regards,
>
> --
> Emmanuel Thomas-Maurin  <manutm007@gmail.com>
>

> --

Hi,

I'm not a DD so I can't sponsor your package, but I hope that the
following comments and suggestions can help you improve your package.

First of all, there's a load of lintian errors/warnings you should fix
(please aim for a lintian clean package before sending out a RFS
request). These can be identified by running "lintian -I --pedantic
*.changes" (also use -i if you want the extended description for these
lintian tags).

W: news source: configure-generated-file-in-source config.status
W: news source: configure-generated-file-in-source config.log
P: news source: source-contains-prebuilt-windows-binary dlls/libxml2-2.dll
W: news source: debhelper-overrides-need-versioned-build-depends (>= 7.0.50~)
I: news source: missing-debian-source-format
W: news source: out-of-date-standards-version 3.8.3 (current is 3.9.2)
E: news: no-copyright-file
I: news: unknown-field-in-control screenshot-url
I: news: unknown-field-in-control appname
I: news: unknown-field-in-control category
I: news: unknown-field-in-control icon
I: news: unknown-field-in-control thumbnail-url
W: news: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/news
W: news: menu-item-creates-new-section Applications/Network/Web
usr/share/menu/news:8
W: news: executable-not-elf-or-script usr/share/news/doc/README

- Consider updating your source format to "3.0 (quilt)"
- Bump your standards version after taking a look at the upgrade checklist. [1]
- You use various dh overrides, so bump your debhelper build
dependency to >= 7.0.50~.
- Why do you override dh_installdocs and dh_installchangelogs? Instead
of manually installing them with debian/install, list your doc files
in debian/docs and let dh install them to the right directories.
- debian/watch is slightly broken:

$ uscan --report-status
dpkg: error: version 'unstable/news-0.5.3' has bad syntax: version
number does not start with digit
Processing watchfile line for package news...
Newest version on remote site is unstable/news-0.5.3, local version is 0.5.3
dpkg: error: version 'unstable/news-0.5.3' has bad syntax: version
number does not start with digit
news: Newer version (unstable/news-0.5.3) available on remote site:
  http://www.newsrssticker.com/unstable/news-0.5.3.tar.gz
  (local version is 0.5.3)

- Why does your binary package explicitly depend on libgtk2.0-0 and
libxml2 in debian/control? dh_shlibdeps should do the work for you and
automatically detect the right dependencies.
- You have various XB-* fields in debian/control that certainly aren't
standard on Debian (I don't know about Ubuntu though). I'm not sure if
they should be removed or not, but dpkg-deb does warn you about them
during the build process:

dpkg-deb: warning: 'debian/news/DEBIAN/control' contains user-defined
field 'Appname'
dpkg-deb: warning: 'debian/news/DEBIAN/control' contains user-defined
field 'Category'
dpkg-deb: warning: 'debian/news/DEBIAN/control' contains user-defined
field 'Icon'
dpkg-deb: warning: 'debian/news/DEBIAN/control' contains user-defined
field 'Screenshot-Url'
dpkg-deb: warning: 'debian/news/DEBIAN/control' contains user-defined
field 'Thumbnail-Url'
dpkg-deb: warning: ignoring 5 warnings about the control file(s)

- You need to write a manual page for your program. [2] and
man-pages(7) should get you started if you don't know how.
- Consider updating debian/copyright to comply with DEP-5. [3]
- dpkg-shlibdeps throws out a long list of warnings about uselessly
linked libraries. Consider fixing this.

Feel free to send out another RFS once you've fixed most of the above
issues, or ask if you don't quite understand. Good luck!

Kind regards,
- Vincent Cheng

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/upgrading-checklist.txt
[2] http://liw.fi/manpages/