Re: edbrowse

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL <mengualjeanphi@free.fr> writes:

> I'm not sure of release number, but I put -2 as -1 was
> the NMU and I didn't want to remove this.

Since the NMU never hit the archive, and -1 is not an NMU version number
anyway, I'd merge the two changelogs into one.

Also, looking at the changelog, I see this line:
  * New upstream version (3.4.7). Closes: #598162, #631027, #506613

To me, this tells that all three of that bugs were reports that a new
upstream version exists, while they're not. The first is, but the second
is an FTBFS, and the third is a problem with edbrowse failing to work
with linksys web uis.

I'd reword it a bit like this:

  * New upstream version (Closes: #598162).
  * [describe how this was fixed (Closes: #631027).
  * Now works with Linksys routers' UIs again (Closes: #506613)

This has a few advantages, in my opinion:

 - It makes it obvious which bug is about what, and how they were fixed,
   instead of the changelog viewer having to look up each issue in the
   BTS and figure out what they're about.

   For someone who likes to see a _changelog_, that's a huge plus.

 - It doesn't mention the upstream version twice (it's already in the
   package version).

 - I like it better that way!

Furthermore, I couldn't figure out how #631027 was eventually
fixed. Perhaps because I'm not familiar with the packaging itself, but
neither the changelog, nor debian/control tells me much about it.

And while I'm here, a couple of other cosmetic nitpickings:

 - In override_dh_auto_clean, if you use rm -f, there's no need for the
   - prefix: the rm will never fail, thus, it is pointless to ignore its
   exit status.

 - Wouldn't it be better to simply patch the upstream manpage instead of
   tweaking it in debian/rules?

 - Wouldn't exporting CFLAGS="..." LIBS="..." JSLIB=".." STATICLIBS="..."
   LFLAGS=".." make the rules file simpler? With patching the upstream
   manpage and exporting instead of overriding, you could get rid of all
   the overrides, pretty much.

   Another option would be to modify the upstream Makefile - it is
   already patched anyway to add a clean target.

 - dh_installchangelog should recognise and install CHANGES as an
   upstream changelog, even without the override

 - Why is debian/compat 5 when you're using dh (ie, debhelper >= 7; with
   correct build-depends)?

These are all minor improvements, but I felt like sharing since I'm
poking around in the package anyway.

That's all I could find with a quick glance.. Oh, and if you insist
adding me to Uploaders (not neccessary, I believe, I don't think
edbrowse would need two, and I'm perfectly happy being Just an Ordinary
User of it :), please use algernon@madhouse-project.org.

Thanks for taking care of the package!