Re: Solving lintian warnings for multi-package roxterm

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 01:39, Tony Houghton <h@realh.co.uk> wrote:
> package too, eg to roxterm-gtk3. In the latter case would adding
> "Replaces: roxterm" cause it to automatically replace roxterm at apt-get
> upgrade (or only dist-upgrade?) or would I have to make a meta-package?

No. 'Replaces: A' is just a hint for dpkg that some (or _maybe_ all) files
of package A are replaced with files from your package. (d-policy §7.6 [0])
Especially, this doesn't say anything about the functionality!

Some hints on how to correctly rename a package can be found in the wiki [1].

Bonus: With my APT hat on i want to add that i will beat the hell out of you
if you try to remove the old package with an unversioned Breaks/Conflicts.
That is a dist-upgrade nightmare as it does what the maintainer intended
only in a subset of situations and in all others the opposite will happen
(= no upgrade) - and before someone adds Provides to the list:
Remember that dependencies on Provides need to be unversioned.

Sidenote: I am not sure why the usage of 'disappearing packages' was
removed from the wiki as dpkg and APT support them in squeeze -
at least in my eyes it looked like the holy grail to prevent maintainers
from using all these half-working tricks in battle against APT, but
i will leave that up to decide for others as IANAD{D,M}.

Oh, and regarding the name as is: What does upstream intend:
Do they treat gtk2 as legacy and will remove support in the long-run or
do they want to support it for… lets say 2 years at least?

Best regards

David Kalnischkies

[0] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#s-replaces
[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Renaming_a_Package