Re: Solving lintian warnings for multi-package roxterm

On 2011-08-17 22:19, Tony Houghton wrote:
> I've split roxterm in to three packages:
>
> roxterm-legacy: binaries compiled and linked with GTK2
> roxterm: binaries compiled and linked with GTK3
> roxterm-common: All the other files
>
> roxterm-legacy and roxterm Conflict with each other and both depend on
> roxterm-common.
>
> I've got 3 lintian warnings:
>
> W: roxterm-legacy: menu-icon-missing usr/share/pixmaps/roxterm.xpm
> W: roxterm: menu-icon-missing usr/share/pixmaps/roxterm.xpm

Newer versions of Lintian should have enough information available to
check for this[0].  Feel free to file a wishlist bug against lintian,
requesting that it checks for missing menu icons in direct dependencies
from the same source package.

[0] Assuming all the packages here are built from the same source
package and that roxterm{,-legacy} have a direct strong dependency on
roxterm-common.  The latter is true and I guess the former is as well. :)

> W: roxterm-common: desktop-command-not-in-package usr/share/applications/roxterm.desktop roxterm
>
> [...]

Unfortunately this one is technically valid (since roxterm-common does
not have a strong dependency on a package providing the binary).  As
Vincent mentioned in a separate reply, the circular dependency is not
necessarily a good choice (and should trigger a new Lintian warning).