Re: RFS: smarty

On Wed, 03 Aug 2011, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Because:
> 1/ you have not taken care of the case where other packages install
>    files in /usr/share/php/smarty/libs/plugins (i.e. no preinst, no
>    conflicts, nothing for this)

Just to clarify, you should add versioned conflicts on all those
packages so that they are upgraded/removed before smarty is upgraded.
Of course the other packages have to provide new versions with the files
moved for this to work. Thus you have to coordinate with those
maintainers.

The postinst should have some code to drop the directory
/usr/share/php/smarty/libs and replace it with a symlink because
the simple upgrade will not replace it properly (dpkg does not replace dir
by symlinks and vice-versa, per policy).

On a unrelated note, it would be a good idea to maintain this package in a
public VCS repository on collab-maint (my preference goes to git):
http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/PackagingProject

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer