Re: package with new soname: questions about .symbols and uploading

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 8:48 PM, Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org> wrote:
> * Kilian Krause <kilian@debian.org>, 2011-07-14, 20:34:
>>
>> If you can confirm that the symbols file for your last version and this
>> version match up perfectly, then the SONAME shouldn't have been bumped in
>> the first place
>
> Err, no, you can't conclude that ABI wasn't broken just from the fact that
> symbol lists didn't change.

Indeed not. But in this case the ABI was not broken. In fact it is a
stable library, with some new features and bugfixes the last years.
I've checked the git history and since mid 2008 no ABI breaking
changes were made (or I looked over them).

I like Jakub's suggestion of proposing a soversion number scheme
upstream and adopting it in debian.