Re: RFS: libgeier (updated package)

Hello,

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 02:17:55PM +0200, Olaf Dietsche wrote:
> Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 5:49 PM, Olaf Dietsche wrote:
> >
> >> The package appears to be lintian clean.
> >
> > Not really:
> >
> > I: libgeier source: missing-debian-source-format
> > W: libgeier source: debian-rules-missing-recommended-target build-arch
> > W: libgeier source: debian-rules-missing-recommended-target build-indep
>
>   Fixed in 0.12-0.2
>
> > P: libgeier-dev: no-upstream-changelog
> > P: libgeier0: no-upstream-changelog
>
>   Doesn't make sense, since upstream changelog is empty.
So overwrite it.

> > E: libgeier-dev: non-empty-dependency_libs-in-la-file usr/lib/libgeier.la
>
>   AFAICT, this comes from depending on xmlsec1, which itself depends on
>   these libraries.
I didn't look into your package, but still having an empty
dependency_libs entry is important for multiarch support. According to
http://release.debian.org/~aba/la/current.txt (which is linked from
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/05/msg01003.html) xmlsec1 is
OK, so you should really clean this entry in your libgeier.la.

> > I: libgeier0: no-symbols-control-file usr/lib/libgeier.so.0.0.0
>
>   Won't fix: Severity: wishlist
>
> I also won't fix upstream warnings, since I think this is a separate
> issue.
IMHO this should be done for all serious library packages. If upstream
doesn't care for API stability it's hardly possible, but having a
symbols file is really worthwile.

Best regards
Uwe