Re: how to get people to run lintian on their packages

 Paul Tagliamonte wrote:

We do have part of the upload on m.d.n, I have a hunch it'd be fairly
simple to actually run Lintian on it, and report the status of the
package.

I second this.

We could have a service where we submit the package. That service will then run some checks for it. E.g.
- building the package
- lintian check.
- install & uninstall

The service could then send email to submitter where it would either list errors found from the package or instructions what to do next to request for sponsoring (or uploading directly if user has permissions). Instructions could include e.g. an url to a webpage which will tell on first sight if the package is error free or if there are errors, it would list them.

If done properly, this could reduce the work of the mentors and sponsors. E.g. it could give instructions how to fix the most common problems or at least give url to a tutorial that explains it.

It might not work for all packages, but it would for most I guess?

--
Reijo