Re: how to get people to run lintian on their packages

On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 23:05:03 +0200
Benoît Knecht <benoit.knecht@fsfe.org> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> Paul Wise wrote:
> > It is rare to see an RFS that says "The package appears to be
> > lintian clean." and the package (especially binary ones) actually
> > be lintian clean. If we were to change the RFS template, what could
> > we change it to in order to encourage accuracy and for people to
> > actually use lintian and fix any issues found.
>
> I think three things are currently unclear:

Are they unclear in specific documents, or in general?

>   - lintian should be run on the .changes file before uploading a
>     package to mentors, in order to check both the source and binary
>     package (I know I used to run it on the .dsc file without
> realizing it wasn't checking the binary package).

This isn't mentioned on [1], should it be suggested for inclusion?
[1] http://mentors.debian.net/cgi-bin/maintainer-intro

>   - The -I and --pedantic options should always be used.

Why is that? the manual entry for --pedantic says
>               Pedantic tags are Lintian at its most pickiest and
> include checks for particular Debian packaging styles and checks that
>               many people disagree with.  Expect false positives and
> Lintian tags that you don't consider useful if you use this option.
>               Adding overrides for pedantic tags is probably not
> worth the effort.
Wouldn't requiring people show tags that aren't relevant just train
them to ignore lintian?

>   - And always use the latest version from unstable.

or backports, for those on stable :)

> Would writing something like "Paste the output of lintian -I
> --pedantic your_package.changes" instead of filling that line
> automatically in the template be a better option? I would imagine
> people would then try to fix any issues before blindly sending the
> message to mentors.

or they wouldn't bother to paste anything into the box :/
thanks,
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)