Re: Git and tarballs

On Wed, Jul 06, 2011 at 12:53 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Wolodja Wentland <babilen@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I've recently started to work on some packages and am not sure if I
> > follow best practices when packaging software from git repositories with
> > git-buildpackage.

> I do the following for OpenAFS (see the supporting scripts in the openafs
> source package) based on work done by Sam Hartman for krb5, and I'm very
> happy with it.  I'm probably going to eventually adopt the same approach
> for all other software with a Git upstream.

Thanks Russ for officially blowing my mind :) -- But seriously, that *feels*
like a good approach.

[ ... ]
> but for some other packages I want to use some of the files that are
> generated as part of the upstream tarball release but aren't checked in.

Ok, this is not necessary for me right now. Do you know how often the tarball
does *not* correspond to a "git archive TAG" and therefore needs to be stored
explicitly?

> Importing a New Upstream Release

[ ... ]

>     3. Run debian/rules get-orig-source.  This will generate a tarball
>        from the upstream Git tag using git archive, remove the WINNT
>        directory, and create a file named openafs_<version>.orig.tar.gz in
>        the current directory.

How stable is get-orig-source across releases? What would I do if upstream
suddenly decides to change the internal structure of the tarball? Why isn't
the actual tarball tampering implemented as a standalone script and called
from get-orig-sources, which would allow you to also apply it to manually
downloaded tarballs?

>     7. Commit the tarball to the repository with pristine-tar, using the
>        new local tag as the reference:
>
>            pristine-tar commit <tarball> <local-tag>

Why exactly is this needed when the tarball can be cut from upstream tags?
--
  .''`.     Wolodja Wentland    <babilen@gmail.com>
 : :'  :