Re: RFS: s3ql (new python application)

Jakub,

On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 11:54 +0200, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> * Kilian Krause <kilian@debian.org>, 2011-06-27, 11:20:
> >2. fix-sys-path.patch feels like you should split out the python
> >modules into the standard python path.
>
> No. Putting private modules into, well, a private directory is the best
> practice.
>
> >Setting --install-lib=/usr/share/s3ql to something more sensible
> >(according to [1] would be /usr/lib/s3ql) will help here.
>
> Again, no. Even the Python Policy chapter you quotes explicitly says
> /usr/share/s3ql is all right:
>
> >http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/ch-module_packages.html
>
> The more relevant Python Policy chapter would be
> http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/ch-programs.html
> however.

thanks for double checking. I was somewhat under the impression that
these modules might be used sort of as a library by other programs too.
But I admit that I had a too brief look and should have checked closer.

In any case if upstream foresees this as "lib" for other python scripts
to use (as is suggested by the configure parameter) then it should be
consequently installed as public lib. If it's private then upstream
should foresee that option consistently in the configure script and
sources. The correct path set for configure PLUS patching still feels
wrong.

--
Best regards,
Kilian