Re: RFS: arp-scan (updated package, new maintainer)

William,

On Sun, 2011-06-26 at 20:29 -0500, William Vera wrote:
> I am looking for a sponsor for the new version 1.6-3
> of my package "arp-scan".
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> arp-scan   - arp scanning and fingerprinting tool

> The upload would fix these bugs: 630563, 631213

> main contrib non-free
> - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/a/arp-scan/arp-scan_1.6-3.dsc

thanks for your work and for stepping up as new maintainer of this
package. Here's some question's I'd like answered before finally putting
this into the archive:

1. you introduced debian/watch and latest version according to uscan is
1.8. Yet you still uploaded a 1.6-2. Why? Is 1.8 not yet ready?

2. You bump debhelper build-depends to 7.0.50~ but leave debian/compat
at 5. I think both should be 8.

3. debian/patches/debian-changes-1.6-2 was removed with no obvious
reason why it was needed in the first place and now isn't anymore. To me
this patch smells like a backport from a newer upstream release. Please
put some sort of comment into the changelog if this was intentionally
dropped with a short explanation (obviously cannot be "fixed upstream"
with same upstream version packaged).

4. arp-scan-1.6-2/debian/patches/fixmanpages.patch has no comment this
was forwarded upstream. I think it should be though.

5. lrwxrwxrwx  root/root   /usr/share/doc/arp-scan/ChangeLog.gz ->
changelog.gz

is a funny artefact of "dh_installchangelogs -k ...". I think going
without the -k would be better unless you say something is relying on
the name "ChangeLog.gz" in mixed spelling.

6. dpkg-gencontrol: warning: package arp-scan: unused substitution
variable ${perl:Depends}

should also be fixed I guess.

--
Best regards,