How to adjust the source before a build?

I have an upstream source that was not really designed for Linux builds, (the
author is primarily interested in Windblows, but he has GPLed the source), but
can be made to work with some adjustments. (Like move or rename a bunch of
files, or unpack some nested tarballs.) What is the standard build system hook
to do this kind of stuff? At what point to I stop making adjustments and
resource the source?

--
Paul Elliott                               1(512)837-1096
pelliott@BlackPatchPanel.com               PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J