Re: RFR: lebiniou

Hello Paul,

On 02/05/2011 08:28 AM, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Olivier Girondel <olivier@biniou.info> wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a sponsor to review my package "lebiniou",
>> before I send a RFS.
>
> Here is a quick review of lebiniou:
>
> lintian:
>
> I: lebiniou source: debian-watch-file-is-missing

Fixed, as well as other lintian (-I, --pedantic) warnings.

> Please document your reasons for using this line:
>
> CFLAGS=-O3 -funroll-loops

- -funroll-loops is not really needed, but I use -O3 since it adds
- -finline-functions and -funswitch-loops.

> Do you need debian/dirs? The upstream build system should create
> /usr/bin just fine.

My bad, fixed.

> You should never depend on libraries directly, instead you should let
> the dpkg shlibs/symbols mechanism take care of them.

Fixed.

> Since you are packaging a library too,
>
> Your Build-Depends line is quite long, I would personally wrap it
> after each comma.

Fixed, for now the library has been merged into the core code, so there
are only two packages: lebiniou and lebiniou-data. I, for the moment,
consider the library a proof of concept, will split when documentation
is ok and I have more example programs.

> Your long Description is quite short and content-free, please check
> these links for some tips on writing a good description:
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-desc-basics
> http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-pkg-synopsis
> http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-pkg-desc
> http://mdcc.cx/debian/descriptions.html

Fixed, hopefully :)

> Since you are also upstream, what is the reason for including and
> embedded binary code copy of FreeMono? Actually since GNU FreeFont is
> licensed under the GNU GPL, including an embedded binary code copy of
> it without the corresponding source code is a GPL violation. I suggest
> that you rectify this by removing the font and using fontconfig to
> find whatever fonts the user has installed.

lebiniou now has a Depends: on ttf-freefont.

> The upstream code contains zero information about copyright or
> licensing, you should fix that before putting it in Debian.

Fixed, both packages are GPL-2.

> You are copying config.sub/config.guess to the wrong directory, you
> want them in build-aux instead.

Fixed.

> If you are interested in using dh from debhelper 7 you can reduce your
> debian/rules files to a few lines:
>
> #!/usr/bin/make -f
> %:
> 	dh $@ --with autotools_dev
>
> override_dh_auto_configure:
> 	dh_auto_configure -- --without-font

Many thanks for this hint ! I was using ancient debhelper.

> Here is a quick review of libbiniou:

Fixed, libbiniou is no more, for the moment.

> Here is a quick review of biniou-data:
>
> Same comments as above plus:
>
> You probably want to name this package lebiniou-data.

Fixed.

> Some of the colourmaps/*.map files are non-free:
>
>     0     0     0    Created by Fractint Mapmaker v1.1
>      0     0   249    (c)1994,1995 by Jack A. Orman
>      0     0   243    For non-commercial use only!

> Not sure if they are copyrightable, but please remove them anyway to be sure.

Removed problematic colormaps, others are either home-made or GPL.

> There is quite a diverse collection of images in this package and some
> of them look definitely non-free (frames from a Kraftwerk music video,
> Flipper and ones from some Disney films). What is the source of all
> these images?

Removed problematic images, others are home-made, or under Creative
Commons license.

By the way, I'm considering re-licensing the -data package to Creative
Commons Attribution Share-Alike v3.0, would this be ok for a Debian
package ? Seems like, but I'm not sure.

I've re-uploaded recent packages with tons of fixes to m.d.n:

 Package name    : lebiniou, lebiniou-data
 Version         : 3.8-1
 Upstream Author : Olivier Girondel <olivier@biniou.info>
 URL             : http://biniou.net
 License         : GPLv2
 Section         : graphics

They build these binary packages:
lebiniou      - displays images that evolve with sound
lebiniou-data - Datafiles for Le Biniou

The packages appear to be lintian clean.

The upload would fix these bugs: 610042, 620899

My motivation for maintaining these packages is: I'm upstream for this
software, which has more than fifteen years of existence running on
GNU/Linux-based systems (esp. Debian), and *BSD. It's been appreciated
and used as a VJing tool, and I think packaging it will make the
procedures smoother for users as well as broadening its audience.

The packages can be found on mentors.debian.net:
- - Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable
main contrib non-free
- - dget
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/lebiniou/lebiniou_3.8-1.dsc