Re: How are directories managed?

On Tuesday, April 12, 2011 07:12:15 am Niels Thykier wrote:

> If we take the very simple case for a moment, then this is given that A
> will exist as long as pkgA is installed.  dpkg will not remove
> directories as long as a file exists in it.
>   Extending it a bit, the file A can legally be renamed using
> dpkg-divert.  If another package uses dpkg-divert to move A, then said
> package is expected to provide a replacement for A that keeps pkgA
> functional.  Otherwise, the diversion can be done by the system
> administrator; in this case the sysadmin is expected to know what he/she
> is doing.
>
> ~Niels

So if a bunch of related packages all need to own files in the same directory,
and if none of these packages has a long lifetime, there does not need to be a
long lived package just to keep the directory in existance; the directory will
go away when all the packages that use it are gone. Is that correct?

--
Paul Elliott                               1(512)837-1096
pelliott@BlackPatchPanel.com               PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J