Re: creating new package without archive file (e.g. tar.gz)

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 3:22 PM, Joachim Wiedorn <ad_debian@joonet.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I plan to create a Debian package of a new software which only have a git
> repository, but no archive file. How should I create such a Debian
> package?
>
> Is it enough to copy the git repo from the internet, remove .git/, rename
> the main directory of the sources (<package>-<version>) and run dh_make
> with --createorig to auto-create the orig directory?

You may just package off the git tree -- roll a .tar.gz for every
release. You must note this in the changelog.

If there is really no release (and never going to be), just pick a
nice round number (such as 1.0), and keep git off that.

Your version ID would look something like:

1.0[~|+]gitYYYYMMDD.HASHHASHHASH-1

In the "real" world, here was an unstable fluxbox release (before the
1.3.0 release)

fluxbox 1.1.1+git20100908.df2f51b-2

Hope this helps!