data has a longer lifetime than libraries that read the data;What package should own the data directory?

I am working on packaging the Swiss Ephemeris. The Swiss Ephemeris uses a
single directory to hold all its data. (Settable by the programmer, so a
private directory can be used.)  Call this directory the slush fund of data.

I want to encourage different programs to share data in one big installed
directory, so that different astrology programs do not all have their own
private copies of this data. Which is the same. And a large user of space.

The upstream has assured me that this data will always be downward compatable,
so that if new data formats are ever introduced that old versions of the
libraries can not read, new file names will be used for that data, so that old
libraries will never try to open files that they can not understand.

Any particular data file could be needed or not needed, installed or not
installed depending on what is being done. Except for a few short files that
should always be there, but they might need to be upgraded with new versions.

My problem is: "What package should own the slush fund?"

It should not be the library, because when the library upgrades most of the
data does not become invalid. Would not want to delete and reinstall all the
data at this point. Should not be the package for any particular file, because
that package may not be needed hence not installed.

Must I create one special essentially imortal package to own the "slush fund"?

--
Paul Elliott                               1(512)837-1096
pelliott@BlackPatchPanel.com               PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J