Upstream ChangeLog in PDF documentation

Hi all

I'm in the process of packaging a library that does not contain a
ChangeLog file, but contains that information inside the user-guide
which is either available as a PDF or the LaTeX source. Using some
scripting (pdftotext, sed, asciidoc, lynx) I can extract a quite
reasonable ChangeLog file from the PDF. Now, my question is: should I do
this processing during the package build process, or is it OK if I
maintain the script in debian/ and the generated ChangeLog as a patch?
What would be preferred?

Thanks for any advice.