Re: dpkg-buildpackage -A vs make -f ./debian/rules build-indep

On 04.04.2011, at 11:40, Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear all,
>
>  I am trying to understand why  dpkg-buildpackage -A is not simply
> calling make -f ./debian/rules build-indep. I tried turning
> DH_VERBOSE=1 but I do not see which rules imply runing the build-arch
> while I specifically tell dpkg-buildpackage to only run build-indep.
>
> Thanks
> --
> Mathieu

The problem is http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=229357.
Essentially, the issue is that build-{arch,indep} are optional, and
there's no sane way for dpkg-buildpackage to determine whether they
exist or not, so it just calls the required build target. This issue has
been reported back in 2004, and still there is no consensus on how to
resolve it. Real bummer. (My original reply used much more creative
wording to describe the situation...)

Michael