Re: RFS: john (updated package)

El jue, 17-03-2011 a las 10:36 +0100, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl escribió:
> Am 16.03.2011 18:26, schrieb Ruben Molina:

Hi Alexander,
Thanks a lot for your review!

> > I am looking for a sponsor for the new version 1.7.6-1
> > of my package "john". [..]
>
> Won't that create a ppc64 binary if I have such a CPU, even if I try to
> build on a normal ppc?

Yes, it will. Isn't that the expected behavior?

> Similar for the detection of your detection of MMX and SSE, which is
> even less clear to me:  You install a script to do runtime detection of
> MMX and SSE/2 support, but you also have compile time checks for that.

The script you mention is no longer used. Even if preserved in the
package sources, it is not installed in the binary package.
Should it be deleted?

Instead of a script, CPU fallbacks (provided by upstream) are used.
A optimized binary tries to run and it fallback into a less optimized
binary as needed: john (sse2) → john-non-sse (mmx) → john-non-mmx (any).

$ strings /usr/sbin/john | grep 'execv: /usr/lib/john/'
execv: /usr/lib/john/john-non-sse

$ strings /usr/lib/john/john-non-sse | grep 'execv: /usr/lib/john/'
execv: /usr/lib/john/john-non-mmx

Is it a bit clearer now?

Best regards,
 Ruben