Re: RFS: b43-fwcutter (updated package)

On Tue, Mar 08, 2011 at 10:34:00PM +0100, Fabrizio Regalli wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for the new version 1:013-4
> of my package "b43-fwcutter".
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> b43-fwcutter - Utility for extracting Broadcom 43xx firmware
> firmware-b43-installer - Installer package for firmware for the b43
> driver
> firmware-b43-lpphy-installer - Installer package for firmware for the
> b43 driver (LP-PHY version
> firmware-b43legacy-installer - Installer package for firmware for the
> b43legacy driver

> The upload would fix these bugs: 581798, 599741

> main contrib non-free
> - dget
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/contrib/b/b43-fwcutter/b43-fwcutter_013-4.dsc

The package FTBFS:

   make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/b43-fwcutter-013'
   install -d -o 0 -g 0 -m 755 /usr/local/bin/
   install -o 0 -g 0 -m 755 b43-fwcutter /usr/local/bin/
   install: cannot create regular file "/usr/local/bin/b43-fwcutter": Permission denied
   make[1]: *** [install] Error 1

Why is it installing under /usr/local, anyway? In the upstream Makefile you
should replace

   PREFIX ?= /usr/local

with

   PREFIX ?= $(DESTDIR)/usr

That fixes both the issues. See maint-guide §3.3 [0].

Also, since what some of the built packages do is downloading the
firmwares from an external sites you may also point it out in the
packages' descriptions (just like flashplugin-nonfree does).

The debian/ directory looks dirty. All the *.debhelper.log and *.substvars
shouldn't be there.

You probably are using the lintian override wrongly:

   I: b43-fwcutter source: unused-override no-upstream-changelog

And finally the watch file looks weird (at least to uscan(1)):

  Newest version on remote site is 009, local version is 013
  b43-fwcutter: remote site does not even have current version

For bonus points you could also convert the debian/copyright file to use
the DEP5 format [1].

Please note that I'm not a DD, therefore I can't sponsor your package.

Cheers

[0] http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-modify.en.html#s-destdir
[1] http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/

--