Re: using pristine-tar

Paul,,

On Feb 19, 2011, at 8:14 PM, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
I'm working on a package, and I'm thinking about using pristine-tar.
Is there a best practices / tutorial set anywhere?

What I've been using is the examples info in the man page; i.e., create an archive, create a tag, then do a 'pristine-tar commit' to that archive and that tag. Seems to work well enough, but I also would be interested in best practises/tutorial in case I'm missing something...

One thing I've found is if you are also upstream for the package, and you want to use git-buildpackage, you need to do the 'pristine-tar commit' for both the distribution archive and the debian 'orig' archive. It's easy enough to do (just rename the distribution archive to the debian 'orig' format & do the commit on that) , but is an extra step. (If there is an easier/better way to do that, I'd be interested in hearing about it...)

Robert James Clay
jame@rocasa.us