Re: Problem to create the orig tarball

On Wednesday 16 February 2011 09:12:20 fred0a@free.fr wrote:
> What's the proper way to package a plug-in that require the application's
> sources
> to compile and both come in a separate tarball ?

First, make sure it requires the full application sources, and not just some
headers.

If it just requires the headers, have the main application source package
build two binary packages: $app and $app-plugin-dev (or something like that).
Then, you can have the plugin source package build-depend on $app-plugin-dev.

If it requires the full, possibly patched, but unconfigured sources, has the
main application source package build two binary packages: $app and $app-
source.  Then, you can have the plugin source package build-depend on $app-
source.

If it requires some intermingling of the build process, then things get
sticky.  E.g. if the plugin requires that ./configure (or similar) is already
run in the source tree before its ./configure (or similar) will work properly,
the builds need to happen concurrently.  In this case, you might be best
served by using multiple .orig files in a single source package.[1]  Of course
that massive source package will build multiple binary packages $app, $app-
plugin-$plugin.

[1] This might actually not be fully supported, yet.  I'm not sure about the
status, but I believe 3.0 (quilt) source packages can handle it.