Re: Init scripts as conffiles

Matt Zagrabelny wrote:
> Sure. That doesn't make it correct, optimal, or the best option, just
> how things have always been done.
>
> I understand the difference between remove and purge and the reason to
> use both, but removing unmodified conf files seems like a win to me.
> Keeps the clutter down.

You'll stop thinking this when apt decides to do an upgrade as follows:

1. remove foo (and its conffiles)
2. install bar
3. install foo

That is one of the reasons for the current behavior, and temporarily
removing a package is how apt deals with certian dependency issues.
Renaming a package is another similar reason for the current behavior.

--
see shy jo