Re: Init scripts as conffiles

Tony Houghton <h@realh.co.uk> writes:

> I'd consider packages which require editing of the init script instead
> of using /etc/default or similar to be badly designed at best. I know
> fixing the mass of existing packages would be too big a job, but I
> thought it might be possible to provide a new option in dh_installdeb
> and encourage its use for new packages.

It's impossible to anticipate all the ways in which one may need to modify
init scripts.  I still have to do this routinely for Debian packages, and
for reasons and in ways that I don't see how the maintainer could easily
deal with via /etc/default.  I think the current behavior is correct,
particularly given the *substantial* simplicity gain from being able to
treat everything in /etc as a conffile.