Re: RFS: snake4 (updated package)

Am Samstag, den 05.02.2011, 14:18 +0100 schrieb Niels Thykier:

> > That's o.k. although I feared I had picked some wrong phrases for
> > englisch is not my native language...
> >

> Yeah, silence tend to give that impression; though in my experience it
> is usually more of a sign on people being busy or lost track of it.

As I'm new here it's difficult for me to recognise what reason is
true ;-)

> > I want to do that next, but I wanted to wait until squeeze is out(this
> > weekend). Will a RFS mail to debian-devel-games@lists.debian.org be the
> > correct way to do so ?
> >

> I think an RFS on that list would be okay (at least others appear to do
> the same). Most of the documentation I can find sort of assumes that the
> package and the maintainer of the package is a part of the Games Team.

> > I'm sorry, but you are wrong. I just read the requirements on your hint
> > (thanks a lot, because that's one reason, why I want to get involved
> > here) and found that similar ideas lead me to the same result.
> >

> :)

> > I must admit that make (and automake etc.) are my least familiar tools.
> > Actually I'm glad, if I can add necessary changes without destroying the
> > old parts. For I adopted that stuff not knowing what the former
> > maintainers thought by keeping that code I would stay on the principle
> > "never change a running system", but if it's a general principle to move
> > every unneeded thing out of rules and makefile I surely can do those
> > changes...
> >

> It is good to have a "never change a running system" view in some cases,
> since it tends to avoid regressions. On the other hand that view alone
> also lead to staleness.
>
> > About that CFLAGS stuff I don't know, if it's ever needed for debian. I
> > haven't used it by now, but I think it was (is) intended to use for
> > debugging purpose (gdb or ddd). I have the idea to change snake4 in the
> > way not crashing the snake on the borders, but to leave and entering at
> > the opposite border. When doing this (maybe in the future) I can check,
> > if I get an not optimised program by setting those option.
> >

> I am also perfectly fine with you simply removing the "noopt" CFLAGS
> stuff. The problem with keeping it is that it implies that the package
> supports it, when it really does not. That being said, it would be great

As far as I can see CFLAGS is used in CCOPT in Makefile and CCOPT is in
the rule for .o files. So it should do something, whatever this
something is.

> if the package eventually was patched to support using CFLAGS/LDFLAGS.
>   The reason is that it would allow Debian to later change the default
> build flags and then snake4 would "work out of the box" with the new
> build flags. Currently Ubuntu is building with different linker flags
> then Debian and it is possible that Debian in the future would adopt these.
>
> As for changing the rules of snake4, perhaps you debate it with upstream
> (assuming upstream is still available) or at least make it optional.
> Some of our games may very well prefer the walls (because it makes it
> more difficult/interesting).

Sure! If I will do it I'll make it as an option selectable before
starting a new game.