Re: RFS: snake4 (updated package)

On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 12:37:18AM +0100, Niels Thykier wrote:
[snip]
> Finally there is this part, which I asked you to look at:
>
> ifneq (,$(findstring noopt,$(DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS)))
> 	CFLAGS += -O0
> else
> 	CFLAGS += -O2
> endif
>
> I do not see any changes to it, nor to the upstream Makefile. Does this
> work as intended? That is, will
>
>   DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=noopt dpkg-buildpackage
>
> produce an unoptimized package? As I recall I came to the conclusion
> that it probably did not work, but feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Erm, why would it not work?  It's a standard snippet used in the rules
files of many packages in the Debian archive :)

Recently it has started to gradually disappear for two reasons:

1. dpkg-buildpackage now examines DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS by itself and sets
   the appropriate CFLAGS and LDFLAGS (it also checks for "nostrip").
   Still, this is far from perfect, since a package may not necessarily
   be built using dpkg-buildpackage - e.g. during testing the maintainer
   may sometimes run "debian/rules clean", "debian/rules build", etc. by
   hand to see how it goes.

2. More recently, dpkg-dev 1.15.7 introduced the dpkg-buildflags tool
   which is perfect for this task :)  You may take a look at the rules
   files for the mbuffer or timelimit packages to see how it's used.

Hope that helps :)

G'luck,
Peter

--