Re: RFR: lebiniou

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Olivier Girondel <olivier@biniou.info> wrote:

> I am looking for a sponsor to review my package "lebiniou",
> before I send a RFS.

Here is a quick review of lebiniou:

lintian:

I: lebiniou source: debian-watch-file-is-missing

Please document your reasons for using this line:

CFLAGS=-O3 -funroll-loops

In general Debian packages are supposed to be built with -O2 unless
there is a good reason.

Do you need debian/dirs? The upstream build system should create
/usr/bin just fine.

You should never depend on libraries directly, instead you should let
the dpkg shlibs/symbols mechanism take care of them. Since you are
packaging a library too,

Your Build-Depends line is quite long, I would personally wrap it
after each comma.

Your long Description is quite short and content-free, please check
these links for some tips on writing a good description:

http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-desc-basics
http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-pkg-synopsis
http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-pkg-desc
http://mdcc.cx/debian/descriptions.html

Since you are also upstream, what is the reason for including and
embedded binary code copy of FreeMono? Actually since GNU FreeFont is
licensed under the GNU GPL, including an embedded binary code copy of
it without the corresponding source code is a GPL violation. I suggest
that you rectify this by removing the font and using fontconfig to
find whatever fonts the user has installed.

The upstream code contains zero information about copyright or
licensing, you should fix that before putting it in Debian.

You are copying config.sub/config.guess to the wrong directory, you
want them in build-aux instead.

If you are interested in using dh from debhelper 7 you can reduce your
debian/rules files to a few lines:

#!/usr/bin/make -f
%:
	dh $@ --with autotools_dev

override_dh_auto_configure:
	dh_auto_configure -- --without-font

Here is a quick review of libbiniou:

Same comments as above plus:

lintian:

I: libbiniou source: binary-control-field-duplicates-source field
"section" in package libbiniou3
I: libbiniou source: debian-watch-file-is-missing

You probably want to name this package liblebiniou.

No need to ship static libraries or libtool .la files.

Why do you build-depend on automake/autoconf? They don't seem to be
used in debian/rules.

If you are interested in using dh from debhelper 7 you can reduce your
debian/rules files to a few lines:

#!/usr/bin/make -f
%:
	dh $@ --with autotools_dev

Here is a quick review of biniou-data:

Same comments as above plus:

You probably want to name this package lebiniou-data.

Some of the colourmaps/*.map files are non-free:

    0     0     0    Created by Fractint Mapmaker v1.1
     0     0   249    (c)1994,1995 by Jack A. Orman
     0     0   243    For non-commercial use only!

Not sure if they are copyrightable, but please remove them anyway to be sure.

Where did the other colourmaps come from?

There is quite a diverse collection of images in this package and some
of them look definitely non-free (frames from a Kraftwerk music video,
Flipper and ones from some Disney films). What is the source of all
these images?

--
bye,
pabs