Creating a user/group for a package

Hello,

I'm packaging a daemon that wants to run in its own user and group. I'm
having trouble finding any information on how to handle
creating/deleting these cleanly. I've looked it the New Maintainer's
Guide and the Policy Manual but don't see any reference to doing this.

I've looked at some existing packages (ssh, timidity) and am a little
confused; not only do they both do the user and group management all
manually in their postinst/prerm scripts (isn't there any debhelper
mechanism for handling this?), but in general the support seems a bit
shifty: at uninstall time neither delete their group, timidity never
deletes its user at uninstall time at all, and while ssh does delete its
user, won't this cause problems if orphaned files are left with that uid?

This must be a solved problem by now; what am I missing?

│
│ "I have a mind like a steel trap. It's rusty and full of dead mice."
│ --- Anonymous, on rasfc