Re: before starting ...

Tony Peña <emperor.cu@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> 1st place, sorry by my english, i expected be understood :-)
>
> i wanna be future DM so have to get some things before right!?, i read it
> many docs before start like debian policy, the machine, and the others
> and now have to always tab the guide-maint, to see all steps, have the gpg
> sign key at subkeys.gpg.net and made account at mentors

You probably should ask those kind of question on the debian-mentor,
not here.

> but have some questions to prepare the build enviroment.
>
> 1. i have amd64 debian installed in the laptop, what's happend here if i
> adopt the 1st package to start? it's will be created only for amd64 or have
> to install ia32 to mantain the packages ori into i386?

Maintainer have to build the package for one architecture before
uploading because there are so many of then. Then the Debian autobuilder
will build it for all other "interested" arch. If there is a problem on
a specific arch, then you will have to try to build it for this arch and
look what append.

> 2. i'm suscribe to debian-devel, debian-amd64, debian-mentors, and others
> like security and user but in 3 1st list where i ask to obtain help
> specifically for build package? or packages keeping made in arch orig
> extrict?

debian-mentor is the place for asking beginner question.

> 3. if i like some orphaned package, to start mantain and the upstream author
> won't will be devel , and it's wrote in C can i do this options?
>    3.1 can't continues upload the package because for me no exist more new
> versions to packages and have to select other ones

Main work for a debian maintainer consist in packaging the
software. Some software are feature complete, and need no more
development, but this do not mean they must disappeared. So you can

That say if you don't know C, you will have problem to fix a security
hole or any bug, even more if upstream development is dead. Learning some
C will be a very good thing.

>    3.2 i can rewrite in other language for example python, build and upload
> again, and in this time keep existing

This is rally creating a new software, a clone of the first one. This is
a more difficult things to do than it may seem, and you should name it
differently than the old software.

And this is upstream development, that should be preferably made outside
of Debian, and should be included in Debian only when it will be mature
enough.

> or have for better secure enviroment have my amd64 system and
> virtualize a machine as i386 and do the builds into?

If there is something specific in your package with regard to
i386. Otherwise using pbuilder/cowbuilder or something like that for
finals building of your package might be a good idea, but you could use
an amd64 as well than a i386 chroot.

--
Rémi Vanicat