Re: RFS: failmalloc - Memory allocation failure crash-test tool (2nd try)

Alessandro Ghedini <al3xbio@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 03:31:29AM -0800, Alessandro Ghedini wrote:
>> * Package name    : failmalloc
>>   Version         : 1.0-1
>>   Upstream Author : Yoshinori K. Okuji <okuji@enbug.org>
>> * URL             : http://www.nongnu.org/failmalloc
>> * License         : LGPL-2+
>>   Section         : devel
>>
>> It builds these binary packages:
>> failmalloc - Memory allocation failure crash-test tool
>>
>> The package appears to be lintian clean.
>>
>> The upload would fix these bugs: 462792 (ITP)
>>
>> My motivation for maintaining this package is: I have found this tool
>> very helpful. I packaged it for myself, and I don't see any reason to not
>> share my work with others.
>>
>> The package can be found on mentors.debian.net:
>> - Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main contrib non-free
>> - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/f/failmalloc/failmalloc_1.0-1.dsc
>>
>> Or on git:
>> - Browser: http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/failmalloc.git;a=summary
>> - git clone git://git.debian.org/collab-maint/failmalloc.git
>
> Is anyone interested in uploading this package?

I'm interested; it's a potentially very useful piece of software.  I did
a quick look at your package, and found the following issues:

- You seem to have repacked the upstream source:

  % cmp failmalloc_1.0.orig.tar.gz failmalloc-1.0.tar.gz
  failmalloc_1.0.orig.tar.gz failmalloc-1.0.tar.gz differ: char 5, line 1

  This is for both the .tar.gz as obtained from pristine-tar as well as
  the one from dget (they are identical, but different from upstream).
  As there's no debian/README.source, I assume this is accidential.

- debian/copyright is in an old DEP-5 format; the current one ([0],
  which is now approaching stability, IIUC) can be converted to and
  checked with the tools from the libconfig-model-perl package as
  described in [1]. For example:

  % config-edit -application dpkg-copyright -ui none
  You should install Config::Model::TkUI or Config::Model::CursesUI for a more friendly user interface
  Element 'Format-Specification' of node 'Debian::Dpkg::Copyright' is deprecated
  Element 'Name' of node 'Debian::Dpkg::Copyright' is deprecated
  Element 'Maintainer' of node 'Debian::Dpkg::Copyright' is deprecated
  File of type Config::Model::Backend::Debian::Dpkg::Copyright has a syntax error in configuration file:
          Missing 'Files:' specification at top of section number 5

[0] http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/
[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2011/01/msg00042.html

I've not actually tested failmalloc yet, but assuming it's working, and
you fix the above issues (the first one in particuliar), I'll sponsor
it.

Thanks for your packaging work!

Regards, Rotty
--