Re: RFS: fmodapi4.26

Thanks for looking at these - I've seen this library mentioned on
Debian Games mailing lists/wiki every once and a while. Do you know of
a free alternative? I see on Ubuntu RFP [1] for this library that
someone suggested something like http://sam.zoy.org/flessd.

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 8:28 AM, Johey Shmit <joheyshmit@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "fmodapi4.26".
>
> * Package name    : fmodapi4.26
>  Version         : 4.26.30-1
>  Upstream Author : Firelight Technologies Pty, Ltd
> * URL             : http://www.fmod.org
> * License         : proprietary, see below
>  Section         : non-free/libs

> Hopefully this permits uploading to non-free!

The license grants free "use" for non-commercial applications, but
doesn't say anything explicitly about redistribution. I'd suggest
asking debian legal for advice.

> - Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main
> contrib non-free
> - dget
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/non-free/f/fmodapi4.26/fmodapi4.26_4.26.30-1.dsc

The first "red flag" I saw in the packaging is that the package naming
scheme does not conform to policy. See:
http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-sharedlibs.html

your library appears to be named libfmodex-${VERSION}.so but your
package names are all of the form fmodapi4.26-dev. The package name
should be libfmodex and libfmodex-dev. Use lintian on your .changes
file and fix all warnings and errors (without building your package I
see that debian standards version is old) use "lintian --pedantic -I
{your_changes_file}"

Cheers,
Scott

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/179597