Re: RFS: googlizer (updated package)

On 2011-01-06 03:31, fulapol hl wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for the new version 0.3-4
> of my package "googlizer".
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> googlizer - utility to search Google via your GNOME menu/panel

> The upload would fix these bugs: 554674

> - Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main
> contrib non-free
> - dget
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/g/googlizer/googlizer_0.3-4.dsc

> Kind regards
> fulapol
>
> Please CC me, I'm not in the list.

Hey

I missed this for c2html as well, but we are in deep freeze so uploading
to unstable requires an ok from the release team.
  You are welcome to target experimental instead of unstable and the
packages can be reuploaded to unstable after the freeze.

d/patches/*: Personally I prefer not using "debian-changes-<version>".
The name does not really give any hint to what it patches and they are
also generated if the clean target is not good enough; but if you prefer
that convention it is okay. That being said, you should at least update
the header in the patches to describe exactly what has been changed/why.
  d/patches/debian-changes-0.3-3.1 refers to non-existent version number
in d/changelog. I assume this was supposed to be a part of the -4 patch.

d/rules: I strongly suspect you can reduce this to the "tiny debhelper"
style without any issues[1]. When you only have one binary listed in
d/control dh_auto_install uses the package directory as install
directory (instead of d/tmp). You can add d/googlizer.xpm to d/install
in this case.
  If you do not feel like re-writing the rules file, then please remove
out commented commands (e.g. #dh_link).

d/control - any reason why you put the Homepage field in the binary
section and not in the source section?

The upstream application is overlinked and does not react to
LDFLAGS/CFLAGS. Unfortunately if you add -Wl,--as-needed (to reduce
overlinking) it will fail to build. It is possible to make it build with
- --as-needed and --no-add-needed at the same time[2].
  In this case I /think/ (but I could be wrong) this means something
googlizer depends on needs to be patched/updated. Maybe someone else on
this list can comment on this?

It might be a good idea to patch the upstream Makefile even further to
make it react to CFLAGS and LDFLAGS. It would make it easier for us to
later introduce different default flags on an archive wide basis (see
dpkg-buildflags).

~Niels

[1]
#!/usr/bin/make -f
%:
	dh $@

[2] Insert the following flags before the `pkg-config --libs ` part in
the upstream Makefile:

- -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lgnome-2 -lgnomeui-2 -Wl,--no-add-needed
- -Wl,--as-needed

All of the libraries listed here are present in the output of pkg-config
- --libs ...