Re: RFS: biomaj

On 2011-01-06 11:32, Olivier Sallou wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "biomaj".
>
> * Package name    : biomaj
>   Version         : 1.1.0-1
>   Upstream Author : olivier.sallou@irisa.fr
> * URL             : http://www.genouest.org
> * License         : CeCILL, french equivalent of GNU GPL
>   Section         : science
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> biomaj     - Biological banks updater
>
> The upload would fix these bugs: 609038
>
> My motivation for maintaining this package is: Me, and my team have
> developped this software. We use it internally but it is also on
> production servers in several countries. It is used by biologists and
> bioinformaticians.
>  I want to ease and spread the use of this software to a larger
> community help with Debian, used by many science communities. We already
> maintain the software, currently packaged with an installer.

> main contrib non-free
> - dget
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/b/biomaj/biomaj_1.1.0-1.dsc

> Kind regards
>  Olivier Sallou

Hey

Looking at the section/name/description I think this is something the
Debian Sciene team might interested in[1]. That being said, the package
contains a lot of pre-compiled Jar files including biomaj itself. The
package must be compiled from source it is to go into main.
  Even for a non-free package you should use the packaged version of
Java libraries available in main/contrib/non-free (e.g. ant, commons-cli
etc. are packed).

If you use apt-file you can find many of these by
  apt-file search <jar>
 - or -
  apt-file search usr/share/java | less

We also have a gzip'ed text file that can map a Java class to Debian
package if the approach above does not help you[2]. I believe "zgrep
$classname jar-content.txt.gz" should do.

The install files can be greatly simplified. If you specific a directory
dh_install will install everything below that directory as well.

Running lintian on the resulting binary file reveals a lot (potential)
issues you may want to look at.

The dsc file is generated as a native Debian package (no orig.tar.gz),
but the source format is specied as "3.0 (quilt)" which is a non-native
format. Pack all the sources excluding the debian/ in
biomaj_<version>.orig.tar.gz and put it in the parent directory of the
unpacked sources.

There are other issues as well, but I think this should be enough to
start on. Also, if you have not read these, you may want to have a look at:

  New Maintainer's Guide
  http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/

  The Mentor FAQ
  http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMentorsFaq

  The Debian Policy (terse, but when in doubt ...)
  http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy

  The Java Policy
  http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/java-policy/

  The Science team also have a draft policy.
    - NB: I have not read that, so I do not know how good/helpful it is.
  http://debian-science.alioth.debian.org/debian-science-policy.html

~Niels

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience

[2] http://ftp-master.debian.org/users/twerner/jar-content.txt.gz