Creation policy in /var/lib/.

Dear all,

a new piece of software, for which I am just beginning the
work on an ITP, uses a subdirectory below "/var/lib/" where
it keeps simple records and time stamps.

However, the daemon itself originally uses the capacity to
create that subdirectory in case it should be missing.
I am not really comfortable with this behaviour, and I myself
would like the daemon to fail if the subdirectory is missing.

Is there something in the Debian Policy that supports my view?
I am not able to find any relevant part.

Best regards,

Mats Erik Andersson, DM