Re: RFS: LeechCraft

Daniel Guzanoff wrote:
> Ansgar Burchardt wrote:

>> You build-depend on libcurl4-openssl-dev.  I suspect this means
>>  the program is linked (possibly indirectly) against openssl.  Note
>>  that OpenSSL's license is not GPL-compatible.
>
> This library is linked with plugin (leechcraft-plugin-cftp), not main app.
> Plugins are released under LGPLv3. Is it okay?

Difficult question.  You might want to ask debian-legal or get the
license of the main program clarified to allow it.  Here's what the
FSF has to say[1]:

| Q: If a program released under the GPL uses plug-ins, what are the
| requirements for the licenses of a plug-in?
|
| A: It depends on how the program invokes its plug-ins.
[...]
| If the program dynamically links plug-ins, and they make function
| calls to each other and share data structures, we believe they form
| a single program,
[...]
| This means
| the plug-ins must be released under the GPL or a GPL-compatible free
| software license, and that the terms of the GPL must be followed
| when those plug-ins are distributed.

Also see [2] concerning the OpenSSL/GPL incompatibility.  This is
perhaps a strange edge case because the interfaces provided by
libcurl-openssl and libcurl-gnutls are not all that different.
Luckily, that gives an easy way out: does the plugin work when built
against libcurl4-gnutls-dev?

Hope that helps,
Jonathan

[1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins