Re: How to use --as-needed

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 01:34:21PM +0000, Tony Houghton wrote:
> How should one add --as-needed linker flags to an autotools-based
> package? I ended up adding CFLAGS=-Wl,--as-needed to my
> dh_auto_configure parameters but is it OK to just overwrite CFLAGS like
> that, or should I add it to any existing CFLAGS?
>
> BTW, at first I tried LDFLAGS=--as-needed but automake/libtools passed
> it to gcc without -Wl, which I thought wasn't very clever. I then used
> CFLAGS because the -Wl makes it a gcc option, but OTOH it is explicitly
> a linker option (according to the man page) so perhaps I should stick
> with LDFLAGS after all?

Check the rule in your generated Makefile.in (example):

LINK = $(LIBTOOL) --tag=CC $(AM_LIBTOOLFLAGS) $(LIBTOOLFLAGS) \
        --mode=link $(CCLD) $(AM_CFLAGS) $(CFLAGS) $(AM_LDFLAGS) \
        $(LDFLAGS) -o $@

You can see LDFLAGS is used, but --as-needed (and --no-as-needed)
are /positional/ parameters.  So you need --as-needed immediately
before $(AM_LDFLAGS), which is why you see it working when added
to $(CFLAGS).  I would just add it to the front of AM_LDFLAGS.

BTW, it's worth considering whether or not you actually need to use
--as-needed, or if there are better ways of removing unwanted
libraries (such as not linking them in in the first place).

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh