Re: conffiles

On Aug 30 2010, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> writes:
> > You should never need to list files in /etc as conffiles, as they're
> > detected and a conffiles written out at package build time (because
> > Policy says all files in /etc are conffiles).
>
> This is only true if you're using debhelper, and from previous messages I
> believe the original poster is learning packaging by taking a more manual
> approach.

Yes. And only if you are using some certain compatibility levels (>=5).
Granted, those are likely to be used nowadays, but there are still some
packages that don't use any package helper at all (e.g., magicfilter).

Well, depending on the simpleness of the package, I usually write the
DEBIAN directory directly and the binary *is* the preferred format of
the source. :-)

Another remarkable case when this happens is when you create a
linux-image package from Linus's newer trees: nowadays, it can be a much
lighter-weight alternative to kernel-package.

Regards,

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA
http://rb.doesntexist.org : Packages for LaTeX : algorithms.berlios.de