Re: Package proposal for Jaxl - Jabber XMPP Client Library

On Monday 30 August 2010 20:16:02 Abhinav Singh wrote:
> I am author of the library and want to create a debian package for Jaxl
> library. http://github.com/abhinavsingh/JAXL

Libraries generally only enter Debian when some existing application can use
them.  That said, this is a fine place for asking packaging questions even if
there's no need for your package in Debian right now.  Maintaining a DEB
package outside of Debian is also good practice for when it is required in
Debian.

Still, like applications, the first step in a packaging a library is filing an
ITP bug, or adopting an existing RFP bug and changing it to an ITP.  (ITP =
Intent To Package; RFP = Request For Package)

> Are there any pre-requisistes before Jaxl debian package can be accepted
> into stable repositories?

Packages are rarely uploaded directly to the stable repositories.

Security updates for existing packages in stable enter the security repository
first.

RC bug fixes for existing packages in stable enter the -proposed repository
first.

Both of these updates will be moved into stable with a point release.

New packages only get into stable by being part of a release.  That is, being
in testing at the time a release is made.

Packages get into testing by migrating from unstable, a mostly automated
process based on dependencies and bug reports.

For some period of time before a release there is a freeze.  We are currently
in the pre-Squeeze-release freeze. During a freeze the requirements for
migrating from unstable are increased, requiring the release team to okay the
migration in addition to the normal requirements.

Packages can be removed from unstable (which triggers a automatic process to
remove it from testing), but this is usually only done when the package is
orphaned.

Packages can be manually remove from testing, but this is generally limited to
during a freeze, which the package is not ready for release, can't be
supported throughout the lifetime of the release, or has RC bugs that the
release team is unwilling to allow in the release and the maintainer is
unwilling or unable to fix those issues before release.

TL;DR:  Prepare your package for unstable, it will migrate to stable
eventually.  We are in a freeze right now, so it will be a while before new
packages are considered for stable.