What is the role of system user bin?

Hi,

the Debian Med team tries to support the pacakging of a hostpital
management system which is based on the Mumps implementation GT.M.  The
actual maintainer wants to use the system user bin as owner of the
installed files[1].  I personally have no idea for what purpose this
system user was invented but I doubt that using it as file owner of
"random" application files is the purpose.  To make sure I can give
correct advise I would like to know what the purpose of this system
user ID finally is.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2010/08/msg00077.html