Re: Package Configuration

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 02:24:51PM +0000, The Fungi wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 03:11:50PM +0100, Chris Baines wrote:
> > Ok, that makes my work easier. Still surprising though, I thought
> > the dpkg purge command was meant to as the man page says "remove
> > everything". Obviously it cant do this if the home directory is
> > off limits.
>
> If you can find where you read that statement, and if it was an
> official Debian document, a bug report and patch proposal are in
> order to clarify this point.

Sorry, you said right there "dpkg [...] man page." I should read more
closely.

[...]
   purge: The package is selected to be purged (i.e. we want to
   remove everything, even configuration files).
[...]
   Note: some configuration files might be unknown to dpkg because
   they are created and handled separately through the configuration
   scripts. In that case, dpkg won't remove them by itself, but the
   package's postrm script (which is called by dpkg), has to take
   care of their removal during purge.
[...]

Agreed--this is misleading, and clarification is probably in order.
File a minor/wishlist bug against dpkg (or I'll be happy to if you
prefer).
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); PGP(97AE496FC02DEC9FC353B2E748F9961143495829);
SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); IRC(fungi@irc.yuggoth.org#ccl); ICQ(114362511);