Re: dfsg bit in the package name

Felipe Sateler <fsateler@debian.org> writes:

> And if there are any prospects of upstream cleaning up their tree, the ~
> symbol makes it possible to re-release the same tarball without the
> offending files.

Yes, either ~ or + will work provided that you haven't just realized that
upstream has files that have to be removed.  Everyone used + or . to start
with because they had to go from 1.6 to 1.6+dfsg versions, for which ~
won't work.  But after that first conversion, + or ~ is just a matter of
personal preference.

(I would avoid -, even though it works, because people tend to get
confused about version numbers containing more than one dash.)