Re: RFS: obdgpslogger [ITP #580176]

On 2010-08-16 01:28, Gary Briggs wrote:

> Dear mentors,
>
> [...]
> * Package name    : obdgpslogger
>   Version         : 0.15-1
>   Upstream Author : Gary Briggs <chunky@icculus.org> [myself]
> * URL             : http://icculus.org/obdgpslogger/
> * License         : GPLv2+
>   Section         : science
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> obdgpslogger - Suite of tools to log OBDII and GPS data

> [...]
> I would be glad if someone could become my mentor for this and hopefully
> future packages.
>
> Thank-you very much for your time,
> Gary

Hi Gary,

First off, thanks for your interest in packaging this package for
Debian. I have done a little review of your package, though IANADD so I
cannot upload your package even if you address all my comments. Also a
DD may have additional comments on top of mine.

As far as I can tell the package embeds a copy of sqlite3, which is
already packaged in Debian (as libsqlite3-dev). Optimally you would not
ship this in your tarball at all.

There are several files in the package not under GPL v2; you can find
some (possibly all) of them by running:
  licensecheck -r  * | grep  -v v2\ or\ later

Their copyright holders and licenses should be listed in
debian/copyright. Also "Michael Carpenter" is listed as a copyright
holder of a handful of files, but he is not mentioned in d/copyright.

On a related note, the copyright file refers to the versionless GPL from
common-licenses, which implies Debian is relicensing it under GPL-3 or
later (lintian finds this with issue --pedantic).

Your package is also missing a watch file (lintian reports this with
- -I). Even though you are your own upstream and therefore undeniable
aware of new upstream releases it is good practise for future packages -
and it would also be nice to have in case you at some point in the
future retire either your upstream or your downstream "hat".

I did not have time to run test it - unfortunately I do not own hardware
needed either, so at best I would run the simulator.

~Niels